Daniel N. Steven
Daniel N. Steven is an AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 rated attorney. Currently he focuses his practice in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, elder law, publishing and media law, health care providers, and general business representation. He received his B.A. from the University of Rochester and his J.D. degree from Washington University in St. Louis, where he was Chief Comments Editor of Urban Law Annual (currently Washington University Journal of Law and Policy). He is admitted to practice in Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- Legal Columnist, The Third Degree, newsletter of Mystery Writers of America, Inc.
- Co-Author, THE STREET SMART WRITER (Nomad Press, 2005)
- Contributor of articles to Screentalk Magazine; Writer’s Digest Magazine; The Writer; AbsoluteWrite.com.
- Contributing Editor, Writer’s Carousel Magazine
- Author, HEALTH CARE PRACTICE MANAGEMENT (Warren Gorham & Lamont, 1995)
- Editor and Publisher, Medical-Legal Letter for Maryland Physicians (1993-94)
- Contributor, Chapter Three, in A. Julien, OPENING STATEMENT (Callahan & Co. 1986)
- Audiotape contributor, “Million Dollar Verdicts” Series. (Professional Techniques Library, Dallas, TX, 1986)
- Author, CLINICAL TRIALS (novel) (HarperCollins, 1998)
- Author, FINAL REMEDY (novel) (HarperCollins, 1996)
- Author of articles and fiction published in general circulation magazines, including Regardie’s, American Baby, and Computer Shopper Magazine
PERTINENT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Private law practice, Law Offices of Daniel N. Steven, LLC. General practice with an emphasis on estate planning, probate, publishing and intellectual property law; business representation, and personal injury.
- Vice President & Publisher, AtYourBusiness.com. Managed the design, development, and implementation of pre-IPO web site furnishing employee management services, tools, and information to small businesses; acted as in-house counsel.
- Publisher, AlignMark Information Publishing; P&L and budget responsibility for $20M business information publisher within $6B Thomson Corporation; managed 36-person staff of editorial, information technology, and marketing professionals in the creation of print, CD and web products covering human resources and employment law; managed the development of hr-esource.com, an original information portal for human resource professionals, fully e-commerce enabled.
- Director of Business Development/Senior Editor/Editor, at HR Solutions Division, RIA Group, division of Thomson Corporation (various positions). Conducted strategic planning for company’s Internet products; planned survey and focus group research; acted as in-house counsel to senior management with ongoing advice and support on employment, copyright, and intellectual property law; conceived, designed, and prototyped information services for HR managers, with primary emphasis on health care benefits; acquired and developed new titles for Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Company and Clark Boardman Callahan Publishing Company; initiated acquisition of ATLA Press by Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Company (a Thomson company).
- Private law practice, Law Offices of Daniel N. Steven; general practice with emphasis on representing health care providers, corporate and securities transactions, real estate, and general civil litigation; rated “av” (highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Private law practice, Waldman, Steven & Diamond, Chtd.; general practice with an emphasis on civil litigation, including plaintiff’s personal injury, medical malpractice, and products liability.
- Associate General Counsel, Maryland-National Cap. Park And Planning Commission., Riverdale, MD.
COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
- Chairman, Contracts and Grievances Committee, Mystery Writers of America, Inc.
- Member, Entertainment and Sports Law Committee, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Montgomery County Bar Association Intellectual Property and Technology Committee
- Member, Health Law Section, Montgomery County Bar Association
- Member, Estate Law Section, Montgomery County Bar Association
- Co-President and Member of Board of Trustees, The Harbor School, Bethesda, MD 1991-1995